Organisation of events for the preparation and training of the population for reaction in floods and subsequent crises
Period: December 2017 – Мay 2021
Implemented by: Consortium “Dicon – BRC” with the leading role of Dicon Group Ltd. In partnership with the Bulgarian Red Cross.
Contracting Authority: General Directorate “Fire Safety and Civil Protection” at the Ministry of Interior (GDFSCP-MoI)
Budget: Euro 8,547,564.00
The overall objective of the project is to assist GDFSCP-MoI in the process of implementing the contract for “Centers for increasing the population’s preparedness for reacting in floods”, through the organisation and carrying out of trainings and preparation of the population for reaction in floods and subsequent crises. The preparation encompasses building of institutional capacity through collection of good practices from EU member states in the field of population preparedness, trainings of trainers and trainings of different target groups, development of learning plans and programmes, as well as organisation of national competitions.
The specific objectives of the project include:
- Specific objective 1: To prepare an analysis of EU member states’ experience in the preparation of their populations for reaction in floods and to propose and select two options of institutions for trainers’ training.
- Specific objective 2: To build institutional capacity for the six centers of GDFSCP-MoI, for increasing
- the population preparedness for reaction in floods in Sofia, Burgas, Vratsa, Gergini (Gabrovo Region), Boshulya (Pazardzhik Region) and Shumen, through preparation of the project trainers – staff of GDFSCP (from the six centers);
- Specific objective 3: To develop learning plans and programmes for preparation of the population for reaction in floods;
- Specific objective 4: To carry out the preparation of the population for reaction in floods, while encompassing all target groups (students, elderly people outside of working age, and elderly people in working age).
The direct users of the results of the contract implementation are:
- Teaching staff of GDFSCP (700 employees);
- Students from elementary, primary and secondary form of education (a total of 78 000 students);
- Elderly outside of the working age, over 60-years-old (6 000 people);
- Elderly in working age (a total of 1 152 people – representatives of state institutions, of the local authorities, regional governments, teachers);
- Volunteers (3 000 people);
- NGO and business representatives (1 152 people);
- Media representatives (120 people).
The main activities of the project are:
- Activity 1: Building institutional capacity for the teaching staff in the six centers of GDFSCP-MoI for increasing the population preparedness for reaction in floods – in Sofia, Burgas, Vratsa, Gergini (Gabrovo Region), Boshulya (Pazardzhik Region) and Shumen. The total number of teaching staff who will be trained within this activity is 700 persons;
- Activity 2: Organizing and carrying out trainings for students, including trainings for self-rescue and first-aid actions. The total number of students trained within this activity is 78 396;
- Activity 3: Organizing and carrying out preparation of elderly people for reaction in floods. The total number of people trained within this activity is 7 152;
- Activity 4: Organizing and carrying out preparation of other target groups under the project (NGO, volunteers, representatives of
- business organisations and media) for reaction in floods. Within this activity a total of 4 272 people will be trained;
- Activity 5: Organizing and carrying out final simulation trainings in the six centers with representatives of all trained groups of participants. A total of 600 people from the target groups will participate within this activity.
Results from the implementation of the contract:
- Four EU member states selected for the research and analysis of their experience in the field of preparation and training of their civil populations for actions in floods and subsequent crises, where the trainings of trainers will be carried out;
- Organized and carried out four trainings of 16 participants each in two EU members states (two trainings in each EU member state), with secured lecturers, accompanying staff and interpreters, materials for the trained staff, logistic organisation of the trainings;
- Developed trainings plans, programmes and materials for the training of trainers, programmes and materials for the preparation of all target groups under the contract;
- Organized and carried out theoretical and practical training of trainers on the topic:
- “Preparation of the population for actions in floods and subsequent crises” for 516 employees of the GDFSCP-MoI;
- Organized and carried out practical training of trainers and simulations at the grounds of the six centers for 120 employees of the GDFSCP-MoI;
- Formed teams of trainers at each of the six centers in Sofia, Burgas, Vratsa, Gabrovo, Shumen and Pazardzhik;
- Developed Methodological Manual for teachers, to use within “teacher’s hour” classes;
- Developed Methodological Manual for self-rescue and first-aid actions prior to the arrival of specialized medical crews in flood accidents and subsequent crises;
- Organized and carried out trainings for representatives of all target groups;
- Organized and carried out regional and national competitions;
- Organized and carried out final simulation trainings at each center, with attending representatives of all groups of trained participants.